LINKWORD LANGUAGES - LEARNING THE HEBREW ALPHABET
You will now be shown how to learn the Hebrew alphabet, using the same kind of imagery technique you have used for learning Hebrew words. Don't expect to get all the letters after one read through it. It is very important that you spend at least 10 seconds picturing each image in your mind's eye.
1. The letter א is ALEF (silent).
Imagine א looks like the veins of A LEAF.
2. The letter בּ is BET (B).
Imagine בּ looks like A BAIT dangling from a fishing line.
3. The letter ב is VEHT (V).
Imagine ב looks like a WEIGHT you have to carry.
4. The letter ג is GIMEL (G).
Imagine ג looks like a CAMEL on its hind legs.
5. The letter ד is DALET (D).
Imagine ד looks like someone with a DULL HEAD.
1. The letter ה is HET (H/CH).
Imagine ה looks like a barn for keeping HAY.
2. The letter ו is VAV (V).
Imagine ו looks like a VALVE.
3. The letter ז is ZAYIN (Z).
Imagine ז looks like a letter SIGHING.
4. The letter ח is CHET (CH).
Imagine ח looks like a fully shaped HEAD.
(The CH sound is like the CH in the Scottish loch).
5. The letter ט is TET (T).
Imagine ט looks like a Blue TIT preening.
1. The letter י is YOD (Y).
Imagine י looks ODD.
2. The letter כּ is KAF (K).
Imagine כּ looks like the plan of a CAFÉ.
3. The letter כ is KHAF (KH).
Imagine כ looks like HALF the letter KAF.
4. The letter ל is LAMED (L).
Imagine ל looks like a LLAMA on its hind legs.
5. The letter מ is MEM (M).
Imagine מ looks like the place your MEMory is stored.
1. The letter נ is NOON (N).
Imagine נ is where you shelter at high NOON.
2. The letter ס is SAMEKH (S).
Imagine ס looks like your STOMACH.
3. The letter ע is AYIN (SILENT).
Imagine ע looks like someone EYEING you up in silence.
4. The letter פּ is PEY (P).
Imagine the dot on פּ looks like a little PEA on a mountain.
5. The letter פ is FEY (F).
Imagine you FAINT when you see the dot is missing on פ.
1. The letter צ is TZADI (TZ).
Imagine צ looks like someone with SAD EARS, sideways on.
2. The letter ק is KOF (K).
Imagine ק looks like someone with her mouth open after a large COUGH.
3. The letter ר is RESH (R).
Imagine ר looks like the finishing line of a funny RACE.
4. The letter ש is SHIN (SH).
Imagine ש looks like a letter where the sun SHINES on the right hand side.
5. The letter שׂ is SIN (S).
Imagine שׂ is a letter where a dot is SEEN on the left hand side.
6. The letter ת is TAV (T).
Imagine ת is a TOUGH looking letter.
Please note that 5 of the letters you have learned change their appearance at the end of a word.
1. A final NOON looks like this ן
Imagine ן being stressed out in the NOON day sun.
2. A final FEY looks like thisף
Imagine ף looks FULL of himself.
3. A final TZADI looks like this ץ
Imagine ץ still has SAD EYES.
4. A final MEM looks like this ם
Imagine ם looks like the ordinary MEM without the ear!
5. A final KHAF looks like thisך
Imagine ך looks like a CALF on its hind legs.
1. The vowel ָ It is the equivalent of A (as in father, bath etc).
2. The vowel ַ It is the equivalent of A (as in carp, garlic etc).
3. The vowel ֶ It is the equivalent of E (as in red, letter etc).
4. The vowel ׂ It is the equivalent of O (as in shop).
5. The vowel ִ It is the equivalent of EE (as in three).
6. The vowel ֻ It is the equivalent of OO (as in book).
Example: א וּ
7. The vowel ֵ It is the equivalent of AY (as in hay etc).
Linkword Languages, 92 Westport Avenue, Mayals, Swansea, SA3 5EF, UK
UK: 01792 401 134 or 0800 085 5700
© Copyright Dr Michael M. Gruneberg